Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Beautiful Life

Get up early am, feed dog, treadmill action, shower, breakfast, dress, work till 5 pm........ 5:08  pull into my driveway (love the short commute), get out of my car, take in a deep breath of good air and smile.
I love spending time here at my home.  I spend as much free time as I possibly can at home working in my gardens and derive great pleasure in doing so.  I guess that's why I do it so much....
Having grown up in the suburbs of Long Island on a postage stamp lot that our family home sat on within an arms distance of the home next door; I have personally 'blossomed' in the freedom of all this space and accept my part as temporary 'tender' of the land and her gardens.

The perennial Diantus are now in bloom earning the title of the tiniest of blossoms in my garden.  While there are many varieties of Dianthus (the common name being carnation),  I'm most fond of the low mounding plant that when grown in mass provide a profussion of bloom.  From a short distance the flower is hardly distinguishable but for the spots of color, but get up close and she reveals an intricate wonder.

Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Sternkissen'
This little beauty grows as a neat compact dense mound of green blue foliage.   It's perfect for small spaces or tucked in between stones along a path as it only spreads out about 9 to 12 inches.
This little plant is growing along my front stone walkway.


In contrast, the more common Dianthus 'Bath's Pink' is a vigorous, old fashioned dianthus.  It stands a bit taller and the foliage is more loosely arranged.
It makes a lovely border edge to my perennial garden which is located in front of the vegetable garden.  It even grows on the entry path which I find endearing so I'm always careful to step lightly when entering and existing lest I be branded as a dianthus stomper :)

While the Dianthus is the tiniest flower in bloom right now, it's the peony that holds the honor of the largest.
I have but one Tree Peony growing in my garden, and one is all it takes for the thrill it provides.

Paeonia suffruticosa 'Pink'
This tree peony is from VanBloem Gardens.
The bloom is 8" across, deeply ruffled and simply gorgeous.
While tree peony are slow to get established, it's no doubt that they are well worth the wait.



Unlike most perennials that die back completely in winter, the tree peony develops woody stems that remain viable through winter.
This plant now stands ~ 2' but can reach a height of 4'.
Can you just imagine how awesome that would be!


Made my first trip of the season to my favorite nursery, Cady's Falls Nursery in Morrisville, VT.   They have the most incredible display gardens and retail plants and a terrific web site complete with plant catalog and fabulous photos.   http://www.cadysfallsnursery.com/Welcome%20%203.html
I never come home from Cady's Falls empty handed and this trip was no exception.
rhododendron kiusianum 'Berg's Best Pink'

This is a slow growing rhododendron that is considered somewhat dwarf reaching a mature size of only 2 ft. across.
I simply brought her home, planted that day and she bloomed 2 days later.
I placed the plant just beyond the canopy of the ornamental hawthorn tree off the east side of the house which should help shield against the winter winds.
Cute as cute can be.



I also brought home yet another Hosta.....
H. 'First Frost'
This is Hosta 'First Frost'.
A medium sized hosta, blue leaves with cream margins it's a sport of Hosta 'Halcyon'.






H. 'Halcyon'
Speaking of Halcyon,  I took this photo the day after the heavy rains this week which knocked almost all the blooms off the azalea on the north side of the house.




My goal this year..... keep applying liquid deer fence so that I get to see a full season of hosta.
Love those leaves.
Thanks for visiting my beautiful life.
Till next time... 'hosta' la vista

No comments:

Post a Comment