Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience


Ok, so patience may not be my strongest virtue but mother nature certainly has a way of putting me in my place.

I know I've posted several updates about Jane Magnolia at various stages of her budding out.  It's just that her buds are so large, colorful and simply amazing.


'Jane' is part of the Little Girl Series (‘Ann’, ‘Betty’, ‘Jane’, ‘Judy’, ‘Pinkie’, ‘Randy’, ‘Ricki’ and ‘Susan’) of hybrid magnolias that were developed at the National Arboretum.
This is a late-blooming magnolia that is less apt to suffer frost damage in spring making her suitable for the northern garden.

Taken on Friday, May 11th the size of this bud is about 5".


On Saturday the 12th she started to show off.


And on Sunday full bloom.


'Jane' can be considered a small tree that can eventually reach 10' to 12' in height. 

My 'Jane' stands at ~ 4', lives out in full sun and struggles somewhat with the clay soil that has a tendency to keep the soil a bit more moist than the plant would prefer.
I have considered moving her (dare I?).



Meanwhile, in the wooded area on the west side of the house the native wildflowers of red baneberry are currently in bloom.
Actaea rubra


There are dozens of these plants scattered throughout the woods standing about 2 to 2 1/2' tall.  

And I just love the fact that I had nothing to do with this plant living here!  All I had to do was show up for the show.



The bloom is comprised of a dense cluster of 1/4" wide flowers that alternate on delicate individual stalks at the top of the stem.
By late summer the white flowers give way to clusters of bright red berries with a dark "eye" spot.
That spot on the berry gives rise to this plants other common name, "doll eyes" and songbirds love them.





 "Adopt patience for the best things take the longest time to come to fruition."


'Rosy Lights' Azalea
Botanically, azaleas and rhododendrons belong to the genus Rhododendron.

"Rosy Lights" is part of the Northern Lights hybrid azalea cultivars and do very well here in my garden.

The flower bud reminds me of some kind of delicious, fancy dessert!  Food for thought.







Lonicera 'Arnold's Red'
This honeysuckle was the first shrub I planted on the property over 15 years ago and lives on the edge of the deciduous woods to the west.

These tiny buds will open in a few days and become the fast favorite of the ruby-throated humingbirds that have already started buzzing about.


"Adopt patience and you’ll realize it’s the secret to living a calm, and sane, life." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment