Sunday, April 15, 2012

April Showers...

Following a brief and unseasonably warm snap in March (oh how nice it was); we returned to the chill of early spring and all the plants which responded with the sunny seventies that occurred that unusual week laid dormant, until now...
And so, my account of spring begins.
I was thinking that the daffodils were  possibly not going to open but, thankfully, I was wrong.

Daffodils
This lovely clump of narcissus lives under the canopy of a thornless hawthorne cockspur located on the back side of the house.  Behind you can make out part of the little wee wooden fence that surrounds the vegetable garden.






'Toka' plum
The two plums trees that I'd planted on the pond lawn 5 years ago never did well (frankly, I was surprised they were still alive).  I finally had a eureka moment when I found a place to transplant them.  I did this during that warm snap in March and today, I can confirm, that they are budding out.










  Starting to hear the tree peepers at night and the 'croakers' in the pond.   The pond always looks best in spring when its at its fullest.








Veratrum viride
Large clumps of false hellebore pop up in the woods near the spring.  The foliage is pretty amazing although the plant considered very poisonous.  Luckily I don't have any foraging animals except me, and I've never been tempted













 This tiny clump of winter aconite was found way back by my large compost pile under a white pine.  They're just about gone by.





claytonia virginica

These little spring beauties (yes that's their name) started popping up almost overnight in the woods.  Each flower is only 1/2 inch with 5 white or pinkish petals with dark pink viens.

 

Beautiful weather this weekend and feeling good about having gotten to beds that shamefully I'd neglected last year.  It's a good start and I'm happy to just be outside.
I'm predicting a stiff Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment